San Antonio's next skyline-altering downtown tower gets green light

Photo of Steven Santana
San Antonio developer Weston Urban plans to build a 32-story tower at 305 Soledad Street.

San Antonio developer Weston Urban plans to build a 32-story tower at 305 Soledad Street.

Illustration courtesy of Weston Urban

Weston Urban can now move forward into the construction planning of its towering residential development bound to further alter the Alamo City's skyline. 

The prolific local developer behind the new Frost Tower received design approval of its planned 32-story apartments downtown at 305 Soledad Street, which is currently a parking lot. 

The tower will have 351 market-rate apartments and 7,000 square feet of ground floor space for retail and a parking garage. 

A closer look shows the ground floor space that will be used for retail and a parking garage. 

A closer look shows the ground floor space that will be used for retail and a parking garage. 

Courtesy of Weston Urban

Weston Urban told the city council at a May meeting that cost of construction would be $107 million, which will be supplemented by a $7.6 million incentive package council members approved at the same meeting. The city incentives include a 75 percent rebate on property taxes over 15 years. The remaining 25 percent of that rebate will go to the city's affordable housing fund, which is about $2.2 million.

Weston Urban is also transforming the Continental Hotel building on the corner of Laredo and Commerce streets into a 15-story apartment complex that will feature 258 units. The developer received HDRC approval for that project in July. 

Read more from Steven

- With DeLorean moving to San Antonio, here are other companies that moved to Texas

- Guess the rent of this secluded one-bedroom with Hill Country views

- Here's a new look at the upcoming high-end apartments near the Alamodome

- Great Texas Airshow reaches max capacity, strands Randolph AFB residents

Sign up for the MySA Morning Headlines to receive fresh San Antonio news every morning.